New WKF Executive Committee vows to do utmost to continue Karate's progress
The new Executive Committee of the World Karate Federation met Thursday for the first time in Konya (Turkiye). The newly appointed decision-making body of the WKF pledged to continue working extensively to further increase the development of the sport around the world.
The WKF World Congress elected by secret vote the new Executive Committee at the plenary session which was held in Konya ahead of the 2022 World Cadet, Junior & U21 Championships.
In addition to the 17 representatives appointed by the WKF Congress on Tuesday, two more co-opted members were added to the Executive Committee today. Samantha Desciderio of Mexico and Sarah Wennestrom of Sweden were welcomed to the decision-making body of the WKF as co-opted members, following the WKF Statues.
Moreover, the Executive Committee was completed with two more members from the permanent offices of the continental federations. Rashid Al Ali of the UAE as a representative of the AKF and Mohamed Mahrous Eldahrawy of Egypt as a representative of the UFAK were also added to the Executive Committee.
The new positions and fields of responsibility of the organisation were also decided today. The WKF Executive Committee for the term 2022-2026 is finalised as follows:
- President: Antonio Espinós (ESP)
- 1st Vice President: José García Maañón (ARG)
- General Secretary: Toshihisa Nagura (JPN)
- General Treasurer: Michael Dinsdale (GBR)
- 2nd Vice President: Nasser Alrazooqi (UAE)
- 3rd Vice President: Béchir Cherif (TUN)
- Vice President and Sports Commissioner: Gunnar Nordahl (NOR)
- Vice President and OKF rep.: Michael Kassis (AUS)
- Vice President & Commissioner for Para-Karate and Refugees: Wolfgang Weigert (GER)
- Assistant General Secretary: Davor Cipek (CRO)
- Assistant General Treasurer: Souleymane Gaye (SEN)
- Member and AKF rep.: Rashid Al Ali (UAE)
- Member: Ibrahim Al Gannas (KSA)
- Member: Mohammad Al Rustam Tun Seri Setia (MAS)
- Member: Davide Benetello (ITA)
- Member and EKF rep.: Jiri Bocek (CZE)
- Member: Samantha Desciderio (MEX)
- Member: Makarita Lenoa (FIJ)
- Member and UFAK rep.: Mohamed Mahrous Eldahrawy (EGY)
- Member: José Antonio Méndez (PUR)
- Member: Mohamed Tahar Mesbahi (ALG)
- Member: Antonio Moreno (ESP)
- Member: Craig Vokey (CAN)
- Member: Sarah Wennestrom (SWE)
From left to right: 3rd Vice-President Bechir Cherif, 2nd Vice-President Naser Alrazooqi, WKF General Treasurer Michael Dinsdale, WKF President Antonio Espinós, WKF General Secretary Toshihisa Nagura, and 1st Vice-President José García-Maañón.
Reports of the different commissions of the WKF completed the agenda of the inaugural meeting of the Executive Committee.
WKF President Antonio Espinós said:
“I would like to thank all the members who are no longer with us for their efforts and their contribution to the growth of our sport over the last years. Also, my most sincere welcome to the new members, and congratulations to the representatives who have been elected for the first time.
“It is a privilege to work with all of you for the development of Karate. I am sure that with your cooperation, your constructive teamwork, and your hard work, we will create the perfect atmosphere to continue taking Karate to a new era of progress.”
The WKF Executive Committee in session with all the new members.
WKF President presents co-opted member Samantha Desciderio of Mexico.
Newly appointed member Sarah Wennerstrom of Sweden is introduced to the Executive Committee by WKF President Antonio Espinós.
WKF President Antonio Espinós welcomes new member Mohamed Mahrous Eldahrawy of Egypt.